Kane County Legal Separation Attorney

Legal separation and dissolution of marriage are similar in process, but have some significant differences. "Legal separation" is a term of art and refers to the process which results in a "Judgment for Legal Separation." It is primarily for those who are living in separate residences, and do not want to be divorced, but do want a court order setting forth each party's legal rights and obligations. Legal separation judgments often contain provisions related to child custody and support, visitation, property ownership and occupation, maintenance and debt indemnity. Couples who are legally separated remain married unless they take further action.

Sometimes this "Judgment for Legal Separation" is very similar to a "temporary order" in a divorce case. Many times a person who has filed for "legal separation" later amends their case to seek a "dissolution of marriage." There is really no such thing as an "illegal separation." A couple who lives apart may call themselves "separated." Someone going through a divorce says they are "separated."

When clients ask us about legal separation, many are surprised at what it can do and what is can't do. Some end up not taking any legal action at all because the legal effect of the legal separation was not what they needed or wanted. Some later decide to proceed with a legal separation or dissolution of marriage. Most are relieved just to receive some answers and consider their options.

Our Illinois divorce attorneys represent clients in Kane County, DuPage County, Kendall County and DeKalb County, including Geneva, Batavia, St.Charles, Wayne, Wasco, Elburn, Virgil, Lily Lake, Aurora, North Aurora, Elgin, South Elgin, Bartlett, Gilberts, Millcreek, Maple Park, Kaneville, LaFox, Yorkville, Oswego, Plano, Sugar Grove, Big Rock, Bristol, Newark, DeKalb, Sycamore, Naperville, Wheaton, West Chicago, Winfield, Warrenville, Downers Grove, Lombard, Oak Brook, Streamwood, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, and many other cities. We represent clients who are from the U.K. and from other countries as well.

Call us Today at 630-584-4800 for a Free Consultation!

Please call the attorneys of Shaw, Jacobs, Goostree & Associates, P.C. at (630) 584-4800 to ask a question or set up a confidential free initial consultation regarding Illinois legal separation.

The latest from our blog...