call us630-584-4800

Free Consultations

Video Gallery


How Are Expert Witnesses Used in a Divorce in Illinois?

Helping You Protect Your Rights in a Kane County Divorce

During the process of divorce, there are many complicated matters to discuss. Depending on the complexity of your case, the use of expert witnesses may be appropriate in a number of areas. Such experts often include financial planners, mental health professionals, and vocational specialists and may be appointed by the court or hired by either party.

A divorce is, essentially, a form of legal action between two opposing parties that looks to end a legal marital relationship. While many divorces are relatively simple and can be negotiated rather easily, some are much more complex. It is in these more complicated divorce cases that expert witnesses can play a crucial role.

Kane County Lawyers for Creative Divorce Solutions

When necessary, the court has the discretion to appoint experts in certain areas to facilitate a better understanding of couple’s situation. For example, the court may select a financial adviser to analyze the tax implications of dividing the marital property or calculating the future value of the couple’s retirement savings. In some cases, mental health or child development professionals may be able to provide insight regarding the allocation of parental responsibilities (child custody) or parenting time (visitation). Vocational experts may be used in cases where there are disputes regarding a spouse’s employability and earning capacity for the purposes of calculating maintenance or child support.

You always have the option of hiring your own experts as well. Keep in mind, however, that experts that you retain will be subject to questions and cross-examination during the divorce proceedings.

Call 630-584-4800 Today

At Goostree Law Group, we maintain a vast network of highly-skilled experts who are well-respected in their professions. We can help you find the right expert witnesses to meet your needs and those of your children. Contact our office to learn more about how we can assist you with your divorce. Call 630-584-4800 for a free, no-obligation consultation with a member of our team today.

How to Convince the Court to Allow a Move Out of Illinois State With a Child

Proving Your Case for Relocation in St. Charles and Kane County, Illinois

If you and your child’s other parent share parental responsibilities regarding your child, moving out of Illinois with your child will require you to seek the other parent’s consent. If he or she does not agree to the move, you can petition the court to allow you the freedom to relocate outside of Illinois.

Family courts in Illinois place a great deal of emphasis on the relationship between each parent and their child. The law also recognizes the challenges that divorced or unmarried parents face when they live a great distance away from their children. It is often difficult for such parents to exercise their parental rights and to enjoy significant time with their child.

Parental Relocation Attorneys in Illinois

When your parenting arrangement provides you with half or more of the parenting time with your child, you must get the approval of the other parent or the court before you can move:

  • More than 25 miles to a new home in Illinois from a current home in Cook, DuPage, Kane, McHenry, Lake, or Will County;
  • More than 50 miles to a new home in Illinois from a current home in any other county; or
  • More than 25 miles to a new home outside of Illinois from a current home in any Illinois county.

If the other parent does not consent to your move, the court can override his or her objections and allow you to relocate anyway. However, you must be able to show that your intended move will ultimately serve your child’s best interests. The court will take into account many factors, including:

  • Employment and educational opportunities in each location;
  • Presence or absence of extended family in each location;
  • Your child’s adjustment to his or her school and the local community; and
  • Your ability and willingness to facilitate a relationship between your child and the other parent.

Contact a Skilled Kane County Family Lawyer

To learn more about relocating outside of Illinois with your child, contact the offices of Goostree Law Group. Call 630-584-4800 to schedule your free consultation today.

Who Pays for College After a Divorce?

Helping Your Child Cover Educational Costs

How to Protect Your Assets During Divorce

Dealing With a Deceptive Spouse in Illinois

How the New Child Custody Laws in Illinois Affect You

Protecting the Rights of Parents in Kane County

Back to Top