St. Charles Change in Venue Divorce Attorneys

Change in Venue or Jurisdiction Lawyers in Kane County

In Illinois, the jurisdiction where you can file for divorce is determined by residency. Residency is established by living in the state for at least 90 days. Residency also determines the venue, or the county in which the proceedings will be held. Disputes can arise when both spouses do not live in the same state or county. At the Kane County divorce law firm of Goostree Law Group, we are experienced in handling disputes over jurisdiction and venue. Our attorneys have a thorough understanding of the law in this area, and we fight to ensure our clients' best interests are protected.

Disputes Over Jurisdiction or Venue in Kane County

There are several reasons why one person may want a divorce or child custody matter to be handled in one jurisdiction or venue over another. These include:

  • Reputation for ruling in a certain way – Some court systems and judges have established reputations of ruling in a certain way. (i.e. favoring joint custody arrangements or awarding alimony)
  • Physical proximity – Those who have moved to another county or state prior to or during the divorce may want to change jurisdictions or venues to avoid long travel times to court.
  • Personal clout within a different venue or jurisdiction – Those who have power or influence in another court system may prefer to have their case decided where they can benefit from their reputation.
  • Dissatisfaction with proceedings – When one party feels as if the existing venue or jurisdiction is not handling the proceedings properly or that there is bias involved, he or she may desire to petition to move the case.

Just because you want to change the venue or jurisdiction of your divorce does not mean that it is legally possible. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable attorney to evaluate your legal options and determine whether requesting such a change is advisable. In cases where child custody is involved, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) establishes jurisdictional guidelines. According to the UCCJEA, most cases involving child custody must be filed where the child last lived for at least six months, as that is the only jurisdiction that can decide child custody and child support matters.

Contact Our St. Charles Family Law Attornesy for Jursidiction and Venue Issues

If you are interested in changing the venue or jurisdiction for your divorce, contact us at 630-584-4800 to schedule a free consultation. Our attorneys will assess your situation and discuss your legal options with you. We work with clients throughout Northern Illinois, including Kane County and the surrounding counties. We are highly experienced in handling cases in venues throughout the area.

Back to Top