St. Charles False Allegation of Abuse Divorce Attorney

Lawyers Ready To Fight False Allegations of Child Abuse During a Divorce in Kane County

In a high-conflict divorce, one spouse may attempt to gain an advantage over the other by making false allegations about:

  • Physical or verbal abuse by their spouse
  • Child neglect or abuse
  • Mental instability
  • Alcohol or drug abuse
  • Criminal activity
  • Other issues that could cause their spouse to be considered an "unfit parent"

Wrongful accusations may be made in an effort to restrict parental rights, deter their spouse from fighting for a bigger financial settlement, or out of sheer spite and a desire to hurt the other person. False allegations can be made in a variety of ways: in family court, to the police, to the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), to friends and family, or using social media.

At Goostree Law Group, we put the well-being of our clients first. If you tell us that your spouse may make or has made false allegations against you, there are proactive steps we can take to protect you. For example, we can ask the court to order an independent psychological evaluation of your family to determine the truthfulness of such allegations. We can also remind the offending person and their attorney that it is a crime to make a false report of child abuse to DCFS or a false report about any criminal activity to the police.

Our attorneys have an average of 15 years of experience in divorce and family law. We are prepared to fight for our clients in the most difficult circumstances, whether involving domestic violence, stalking or harassment, infidelity, or false allegations.

Countering False Allegations Made During a Divorce

The attorneys at Goostree Law Group can provide valuable advice for dealing with false accusations of child abuse, domestic violence, or other actions that could be unlawful or harmful to a child. If you are facing these types of accusations, you can do the following:

  1. First, do not confront the person making the false allegations. Instead, speak to your attorney first.
  2. Second, if you are contacted by DCFS or law enforcement investigators, remain calm and call your attorney for advice and representation. We will generally advise you to cooperate with investigators with our assistance. If you come across as defensive or belligerent, that will not help your cause.
  3. Third, if you are served with an order of protection, know that you will have an opportunity to defend yourself in a court hearing. In the meantime, obey the terms of the order to avoid compounding the problem.
  4. Fourth, work with your attorney to compile evidence to disprove the allegations. For example, you might have texts or emails from your spouse that show their tendency to exaggerate, lie, intimidate, threaten, or make false accusations. Medical records, photographs, and sworn statements from reliable witnesses can also be used to prove or disprove the accuser's statements regarding injuries or drug/alcohol abuse.

Contact Our St. Charles Divorce Lawyers for False Allegations of Abuse

The attorneys of Goostree Law Group will advocate strongly for your interests in matters of divorce, family law, and criminal defense. We serve clients in the Kane County communities of St. Charles, Campton Hills, Elgin, Geneva, Batavia, North Aurora, Elburn, Kaneville, and LaFox. Contact us in our St. Charles office at 630-584-4800 for a free consultation.

Back to Top