St. Charles Civil Union Dissolution Attorney

Leading Civil Union Dissolution Attorney for Non-Traditional Couples in Kane County

Just as a marriage between a husband and wife can sometimes end in divorce, so can a civil union between same-sex partners or non-traditional heterosexual couples end in dissolution.

At Goostree Law Group, located in St. Charles, Illinois, our family law attorneys can help couples who need a civil union dissolution understand their options. No matter how complex your situation may be, our attorneys have more than 50 years of combined experience, and we can offer you the legal guidance you need to successfully dissolve your civil union while maintaining your peace of mind.

Contact us today for a free initial consultation to discuss your family law concerns related to civil union dissolution or other issues that may affect you or your children. We represent couples in Kane County, DuPage County, Kendall County, and DeKalb County in all family law and domestic relations concerns. Call 630-584-4800 to schedule your consultation today.

Protecting Your Rights in a Civil Dissolution

The Illinois Religious Freedom Protection and Civil Union Act was passed in 2011. It gave same-sex couples and heterosexual couples who prefer to remain in a committed yet unmarried relationship virtually the same rights, obligations, and legal protections at the state level as those who are legally married. When the U.S. Supreme Court made same-sex marriage legal throughout the United States, this reduced the need for couples to pursue civil unions. However, same-sex and opposite-sex couples can still enter into civil unions if they prefer to use this option rather than getting married. Couples who used the civil union option between 2011 and 2015 may encounter unique legal issues if they choose to separate and end their relationship, even if they chose to become legally married at a later date.

Much like divorce or "dissolution of marriage", a civil union dissolution addresses the issues of:

  • Property distribution - A couple will need to determine how the property they own together will be divided between them. For couples in civil unions, determining whether property is jointly-owned or separately-owned may be a complex matter, and the assistance of an attorney may be needed to ensure that a spouse recieves an equitable share of the property they acquired during their relationship with their former partner.
  • Child custody - Parents who share children will need to determine how they will share parental responsibilities and how parenting time will be divided. This is true regardless of whether the couple was ever married or in a civil union.
  • Child support - Children have the right to receive financial support from both parents. In cases involving civil unions, child support will be calculated using the same methods as in other child custody matters.
  • Legal separation - A couple who chooses to separate without formally ending their legal relationship will need to address many of the same issues as they would in a divorce or civil union dissolution, but they may benefit from a continued legal relationship in certain ways.
  • Paternity - In cases where a child was born while parents were not married or had not yet entered into a civil union, additional steps may need to be taken to name one party as the child's legal parent before issues related to child custody and child support can be addressed.
  • Orders of protection - If domestic violence or any other forms of abuse are a factor in the dissolution of a civil union, one party may seek protections that are meant to prevent any further harm while allowing disputes to be resolved without leading to further conflict.
  • Other family law concerns - Any other legal issues addressed in family court may be resolved during the process of completing a civil union dissolution.

Contact Our Kane County Civil Dissolution Lawyers

If you have any questions or concerns about your civil union and are contemplating a separation or dissolution, contact Goostree Law Group in St. Charles, Illinois. To schedule your free initial consultation, call 630-584-4800 today.

Back to Top