call us630-584-4800

Free Consultations

St. Charles, IL College Expense Attorneys

Geneva Child Support College Expenses Lawyer

College Expenses Lawyers Serving Kane County

These days, child support does not always end when a child turns 18. Judges are increasingly requiring parents to contribute to college expenses for their non-minor children, but only if the parents can afford to pay. The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act has provided for support towards higher learning.

At the Kane County family law firm of Goostree Law Group, we are experienced in handling cases involving college expenses. We represent both mothers and fathers in these matters and all matters relating to divorce and family law.

Determining College Expenses Contributions in Kane County

Parents are not alone in their responsibility to contribute to college expenses. If the child who is going to college has access to assets (i.e. a college saving plan, inheritance from grandparents, or earned income), the child must also contribute. Additionally, any grants or scholarships the child wins are applied to tuition first. While each case is determined separately, many courts are charging parents with the responsibility of pay 50% of the remaining college expenses. These expenses can include:

  • Tuition;
  • Application fees;
  • Room and board;
  • Books;
  • School fees and registration;
  • Transportation costs;
  • Health insurance;
  • Medical costs;
  • Dental costs; and
  • Personal expenses.

The ability of each parent to contribute to these expenses is considered. If one parent makes a significantly higher income or has more assets than the other, for example, the court may order that parent to pay a greater amount (or all) of the college expenses. Under Illinois law, a stepparent’s income and assets may also be considered when making determinations about college expenses.

College expenses are only available until the child obtains a bachelor’s degree, and there may be other stipulations as well. For example, the child may have to be a full-time student and may have to maintain a certain grade point average (GPA) for support to continue. Both parents who are contributing to the college expenses must have access to the child’s school records.

If you are involved in a dispute over college expenses or you need assistance working out an arrangement for contributions towards college expenses, contact us at 630-584-4800 to schedule a free consultation. One of our attorneys will examine the circumstances in your case and provide our experienced assessment of what you can expect from the process. There are time limits for petitioning for college expenses, so it is important to retain an attorney to assist you as soon as possible. We work with clients throughout Kane County and the surrounding counties in Northern Illinois.

Back to Top