call us630-584-4800

Free Consultations

Video Gallery


How Can I Get Restricted Visitation Against My Ex?

Kane County Attorneys Fighting for Your Children's Safety

There are ways to have the court declare restricted visitation or parenting time against your ex-spouse. If you are able to prove that there is serious danger to the well-being of your child, it is a high possibility. At Goostree Law Group, we can further inform you of your legal options regarding this aspect of a parenting plan.

The concept of there being “serious danger to the health of your child” can be very broad and not specific to all situations. Many clients believe that danger is defined as there being any physical danger or abuse to your child or children. This definition also encompasses any risk of emotional or mental abuse being inflicted on the children. Coming to the conclusion of parenting time being restricted can be very severe.

The courts prefer when both parents are able to be given their parenting time with their children. They want it to be fair for both parents to foster a relationship between the children and both of the spouses. However, the legal system requires that the safety of a child will be a top priority. If your children are being abused in any way by your ex-spouse or new significant other, the courts will take the steps outlined within the parameters of the law to keep them safe.

Contact Our Kane County Lawyers

At Goostree Law Group, the safety of you and your children when an abusive spouse is involved is our top priority. If you live in the Kane County or Northern Illinois area, please contact us at 630-584-4800 to set up a free consultation. We will take the necessary steps needed to answer all of your questions, and you will get to know the attorney assigned to your case. Contact us today and we will get started.

How Can I Get Back Money My Spouse Spent on an Affair in Kane County?

Filing a Claim of Dissipation in Illinois

While the divorce process in Illinois does not take infidelity into account, you may be entitled to recover a portion of the money your spouse may have spent on an affair. To do so, you will need to show that the money was spent for a purpose unrelated to the marriage after the marriage had broken down.

When you and your spouse are headed for a divorce, it is important to be careful about how you spend your money. This is because, in most cases, the money spent will be considered marital funds in your divorce. According to Illinois law, marital property is to be divided equitably between the spouses, based on consideration of a number of circumstantial factors provided in the statute.

If your spouse has been spending money on an affair, or for any other purpose that is unrelated to the marriage, you have the right to file a dissipation claim. A dissipation claim is a formal filing that seeks to hold a party accountable for financial transactions that could unduly affect the allocation of marital property.

Proving Your Dissipation Claim

At Goostree Law Group, we are equipped to help you with your dissipation claim. Our attorneys will assist you in showing:

  • Your spouse inappropriately spent or devalued marital assets;
  • The spending occurred after the marriage had begun an irretrievable breakdown; and
  • The specific assets that your spouse dissipated.

While you may not be entitled to a full recovery of the money spent, your spouse may be ordered to reimburse the marital estate before it is divided.

Call for a Free Consultation

If your spouse has been spending money on an extramarital affair and you are considering a divorce, contact our office. Call 630-584-4800 for a free consultation at Goostree Law Group. With offices in St. Charles and Wheaton IL, we are proud to serve clients in and around Kane County and DuPage County.

Will There Be an Illinois Custody Evaluator Appointed and What Will They Do?

Divorcing With Children in Kane County

Family courts in Illinois have the authority to appoint an independent custody evaluator in cases concerning the allocation of parental responsibilities, parenting time, or other child-related matters. An evaluator may be utilized when there are questions regarding the mental health of either parent or the child, or to investigate allegations of abuse or parental alienation.

When a marriage comes to an end or unmarried parents split up, subsequent legal proceedings regarding parenting arrangements can be very difficult and emotional. In some cases, a parent may be facing accusations of abuse or questions regarding mental, emotional, or psychological stability. To address such concerns, the court may appoint an independent evaluator to investigate your situation and to help ensure that your child’s best interests are fully protected.

Working With an Evaluator

The most important thing you can do when a custody evaluator has been appointed to your case is remain calm and cooperative with the evaluation process. He or she will be expected to interview you, the other parent, and your child, along with any witnesses who may offer insight into your family’s circumstances. All involved parties may also be required to participate in standardized psychological testing to determine the healthiest outcome for your child.

Parents who are combative or refuse to participate in the process are likely to find that such attitudes are not conducive to remaining a positive part of their children’s lives. At Goostree Law Group, we are dedicated to helping you prepare for your evaluation and to protect your parental rights no matter how challenging the situation may appear.

Call 630-584-4800 Today

To learn more about custody evaluations in Illinois, contact our office. Call Goostree Law Group at 630-584-4800 to schedule your free initial consultation with one of our experienced family law attorneys. With locations in St. Charles and Wheaton, Illinois, we are proud to serve clients throughout Kane County and DuPage County.

How Can I Find Out What My Self-Employed Spouse Really Earns in Illinois?

Protecting Your Rights During Divorce with a Kane County Lawyer

When a divorce case involves a spouse who is self-employed, it can be very difficult to determine that party’s true income for the purposes of the divorce proceedings. An experienced attorney can help you review business records, bank transactions, credit card, receipts, and your spouse’s lifestyle to ensure a proper accounting of his or her actual income.

Throughout Illinois and across the country, there are millions of individuals who have taken a leap of faith and gone to work for themselves. In many cases, however, a self-employed person may not draw clear distinctions between business and personal finances. While such a scenario may be challenging for tax purpose, it can also present serious difficulties during divorce.

Ensuring a Fair Divorce Settlement

At Goostree Law Group, we realize that an equitable divorce settlement requires each party to fully disclose all of their assets, resources, and debts. A spouse’s income is a crucial component in determining the division of marital property, spousal maintenance, and child support. When your spouse’s income is unclear because of his or her business interests and transactions, you may need help uncovering the truth.

Our experienced attorneys are prepared to conduct a full analysis of your spouse’s business and personal finances. We will help you determine the correct amount to be considered during your divorce, utilizing the assistance of forensic accountant if necessary. A vocational expert may also be needed to show that your spouse’s earning potential is substantially more than he or she is reporting. It is our goal to help you obtain full financial disclosure from your spouse so that you can get the equitable divorce settlement that you deserve.

Let Us Help

If you are in the process of divorcing a self-employed spouse, contact the offices of Goostree Law Group to speak with an experienced divorce attorney. Call 630-584-4800 to schedule your free initial consultation today. We are proud to serve individuals and families in St. Charles, Elgin, Batavia, Geneva, and the rest of Kane County and DuPage County.

Will I Need a Forensic Accountant for My Divorce in Kane County?

Full Financial Disclosure is Crucial in an Illinois Divorce

During your divorce, you may suspect that your spouse has misrepresented his or her income or has hidden assets. A forensic accountant may be able to assist in discovering the truth by conducting a comprehensive lifestyle analysis. This process can help reveal your spouse’s undisclosed assets and income to ensure a more equitable divorce judgment.

Under the best of circumstances, divorce is a complicated legal matter which requires creativity and compromise in reaching a reasonable resolution. The process, however, is dependent upon transparency and full cooperation by each spouse. Sadly, in many divorce cases, one spouse will look to gain an advantage by hiding marital or personal assets or by disguising sources of income. Without full financial disclosure by both parties, an equitable divorce settlement is not possible.

Kane County Divorce Attorneys

Hidden assets affect more than just the division of property. A spouse’s financial resources are also taken into account when determining the appropriateness of spousal maintenance, as well as in calculating child support. At Goostree Law Group, we are prepared to help you find hidden assets and income by utilizing a forensic accountant when necessary.

A forensic accountant is a financial professional who has been trained to review transaction records and documents looking for discrepancies and unexplained revenues. He or she will conduct a comprehensive lifestyle analysis of your spouse’s financial situation, finding any and all undisclosed assets and resources. The analysis may include personal accounts and expenditures, as well as those of any businesses in which your spouse has invested interests. Your spouse may be required by the court to answer for any inconsistencies or discrepancies revealed in the lifestyle analysis.

Call for a Free Consultation

If you believe that your spouse has not been forthcoming regarding financial matters in your divorce, contact our office for assistance. Call 630-584-4800 for a free consultation at Goostree Law Group today. With offices in St. Charles and Wheaton IL, we are proud to serve Kane County and DuPage County.

Back to Top