Does Your Child Need Therapy to Cope with Your Divorce?

 Posted on June 16, 2020 in Children of Divorce

Does Your Child Need Therapy to Cope with Your Divorce?It is hard to predict how a child will react to divorce, but parents should prepare for a difficult transition period. Your child’s reaction will partially depend on the environment you create for them. A supportive and caring environment should help your child, while exposure to divorce conflict could cause further trauma. Your child’s personality is another important factor in their reaction. Some children are more prone to depression and anxiety than others. Child therapy is an option you have if your child is struggling to adjust to the divorce, but how do you know whether therapy is right for your child?

Signs That Therapy May Help

Just because your child has an emotional outburst does not mean you should immediately book an appointment with a child therapist. Being upset is a natural reaction for children during divorce, and some children can process their emotions on their own if given time and care from their parents. If your child’s negative behavior persists or grows worse, then it may be time to seek outside help. For instance, your child may:

  • Continue to show signs of depression, anger, or anxiety
  • Regress to immature behavior for their age
  • Become more attached to you or your co-parent
  • Have trouble concentrating on or show a lack of interest in schoolwork or other activities
  • Become less communicative and more withdrawn in their home life

If you think your child may need therapy, you need to talk to your co-parent about it before you take action. Starting therapy is a major healthcare decision, and your parenting agreement may require consent from both parents. At the very least, this is a decision your co-parent should be aware of.

Finding a Therapist and What to Expect

Choosing the right therapist for your child is an important step in the process. Instead of starting a search from scratch, you can talk to your child’s pediatrician and ask if they can refer you to a therapist who specializes in treating children. Once you have the name of a therapist, you can research them online to become more familiar with them.

Your involvement in your child’s therapy sessions depends on their age. It is common for parents of younger children to attend part or all of each session. However, teenagers may be alone with the therapist for most of their sessions, with the parent coming in towards the end.

Contact a Kane County Divorce Attorney

Helping your child cope may be one of the most difficult parts of your divorce, but you do not have to do it alone. A St. Charles, Illinois, divorce lawyer at Goostree Law Group can help you create a stable foundation for your post-divorce parenting through your parenting plan. Schedule a free consultation by calling 630-584-4800.



Share this post:
Back to Top