How Do I Know If My Ex is Alienating My Child From Me?

 Posted on April 19, 2024 in Child Custody

St. Charles, IL child custody lawyerParental alienation, which is when one parent tries to interfere with the relationship between a child and her other parent, sometimes happens in hostile marriages or divorces. Parental alienation affects the child deeply and can even be viewed as a form of child abuse in Illinois. In 2013 the Illinois legislature designated the month of April as Parental Alienation Awareness Month.

Because parental alienation is a serious concern, it is also a serious accusation and has legal consequences. Make sure you know the signs of parental alienation and what actions you can take if your child is being estranged from you.

If you suspect that your co-parent is alienating your child from you, contact a qualified family lawyer in Illinois who is experienced in parental alienation matters.

What Are the Signs of Parental Alienation?

Your co-parent may be trying to interfere in your relationship with the child if you see any of the following signs:

  • He or she makes disparaging comments about you to your child.

  • He or she shares inappropriate details with the child about past conflicts that put you in a bad light.

  • He or she regularly plans appointments and activities for the child during your scheduled parenting time.

  • He or she calls repeatedly during your time with the child.

  • He or she shows up unannounced during your parenting time.

  • He or she restricts communication between you and your child.

  • He or she makes false allegations against you that could cause you to lose time with the child.

  • Your child suddenly begins blaming you for certain issues.

  • Your child stops contacting you.

  • Your child refuses to show up for visitation or parenting time.

Keep in mind that the above can sometimes be genuine misunderstandings. Gather evidence and show it to an attorney who can help you understand how a court will view it.

What Can I Do if My Ex is Alienating My Child From Me?

The first thing to do if you suspect parental alienation is to keep detailed records of what you are seeing. Include dates, locations, and any other relevant information. A judge will want to see evidence before ruling on a parental alienation case. The judge may also want a child psychologist or evaluator to interview the child and make an assessment.

If the court finds that parental alienation is taking place, it can affect visitation and custody arrangements. Illinois law is vague about the consequences of parental alienation, so it will be mostly left up to the judge. Depending on the circumstance and the severity of the alienation, a judge might restrict your co-parent’s visitation or parenting time with the child until a future date.

Contact a St. Charles, IL Parental Alienation Lawyer

If you suspect your co-parent is trying to interfere in your relationship with your child, time is of the essence. The longer it goes on, the more estranged from you your child can become. Your first course of action should be to consult with a Kane County, Illinois family law attorney who has experience in parental alienation. The attorneys at Goostree Law Group offer free consultations and will be able to guide you through this delicate process. Call 630-584-4800 today.

Share this post:
Back to Top