How Does Visitation Work in Kane County, Illinois?

 Posted on January 25, 2022 in Family Law

St. Charles Child Custody LawyerAs a parent, it can be extremely difficult to share your child with an ex. Whether you were married to the other parent for years, or just briefly dated, child custody can be a complicated, emotionally-charged topic. To make the situation even more complicated, child custody laws vary from state to state. In Illinois, child custody is now called the allocation of parental responsibilities. Visitation is called parenting time. If you are an unmarried or divorcing parent, read on to learn how the state handles parenting time and other child-related concerns.

Divorcing Parents and Illinois Parenting Plans

If you are getting divorced, you and the other parent will be asked to write up a “parenting plan” or parenting agreement. This document will describe how you plan to divide parenting time, make major decisions about your child’s healthcare and education, and address other important child-related concerns. If you can agree to the terms in the parenting plan, you can submit a joint plan to the court for approval. If you are unable to agree on one or more issues, you will each submit your plans separately to the court.

When the court determines parenting time, the court will evaluate:

  • Each parent’s preferences regarding parenting time

  • The child’s preferences

  • The parents’ past involvement in the child’s life

  • The child’s adjustment to his or her current living arrangement

  • Each parent’s physical and mental health

  • Any previous incidents of domestic violence or abuse

  • The parents’ ability to cooperate as co-parents and foster a healthy relationship between the child and the other parent

  • Whether the child has any special needs and the parents’ ability to meet those needs

  • Any other factor relevant to the case

Parenting Time Schedules and Restricted Parenting Time

You and the other parent may be able to reach an agreement regarding which parent the child will live with on which days. However, sometimes child custody matters become contentious and require court intervention. If there has been neglect, abuse, abandonment, or other safety concerns, you may want to request restricted parenting time. Parenting time restrictions may include supervised parenting time, mandatory drug and alcohol treatment, and other measures to ensure the child is safe.

Contact a Kane County Child Custody Lawyer for Help

Child custody and parenting time concerns can be complex on both a legal and a personal level. If you need help drafting the parenting plan, requesting a parenting time restriction, or have other family law needs, contact the St. Charles family law attorneys at Goostree Law Group. Call our office today at 630-584-4800 and set up a free consultation.




Share this post:
Back to Top