If Parents Have Equal 50/50 Custody, Is There Child Support in Illinois?

 Posted on March 28, 2024 in Child Support

IL family lawyerOne of the most commonly discussed topics in parental divorce is child support. Sometimes, one parent has more time with the children and responsibility for them and the other has more flexibility to work and earn a living. In that case, it is generally straightforward; the parent who works more pays child support to the parent spending more time raising the children. But sometimes, the parents have equally shared custody, and neither parent can claim to be spending more time with the kids. If you believe you will have a 50/50 custody arrangement with your spouse, you will likely have questions about child support calculations. Speak with a knowledgeable Wheaton, IL divorce attorney to get some answers.

How Does Shared Parenting Work?

Child custody, or parenting time, refers to when the child is with each parent. There is no specific template for a parenting time schedule that will work for everyone. Every family that has been through a divorce has a unique parenting time schedule based on factors that include the child’s needs, the parents’ abilities, and others. 

In some families, one parent has the child for 40% of the time or less, and the other has the child with them for 60% of the time or more. While this happens quite commonly, there are also arrangements whereby both parents have the child for over 40% of the time. This is referred to as a shared parenting arrangement. This type of arrangement comes with its own set of factors and can influence child support requirements.

How Is Child Support Calculated in a Shared Parenting Arrangement?

In most divorces, one parent has the majority of parenting time, and the other pays them child support. The payments are calculated by taking into account each parent’s income and the total sum they are estimated to spend on their child per month. The payments are also affected by the parenting schedule because the more time either parent spends with the child, the less they are obligated to pay in child support. 

Schedule a Free Consultation with a DuPage County, IL Parenting Time Lawyer

Child support calculations are not always clear-cut and can be extremely confusing. If you are considering divorce and have questions about the type of child support arrangement you might expect, an experienced Wheaton, IL divorce attorney can help you navigate this somewhat complicated situation. At Goostree Law Group, we offer free consultations. Call 630-584-4800 to schedule yours.

Share this post:
Back to Top