My Ex Stopped Paying Child Support. Is There Anything I Can Do?

 Posted on September 28, 2023 in Child Support

Kane County, IL child support lawyerWhen parents are going through a divorce, one of the many issues that need to be worked out in the divorce settlement is child support. Married parents are free to manage their family finances in private. Once they get divorced, however, the court has the authority to mandate which parent needs to pay what amount and when. 

When there is a plan in place for child support payments, both parents can arrange their finances around this. They know how much money they can expect to pay or receive from the other and how regularly. If one parent decides to simply stop paying, it can leave the other parent scrambling to cover costs related to their child. If you are a divorced parent and your ex has stopped making their child support payments, you should speak with a Kane County, IL divorce lawyer to figure out how best to proceed.

How Can I Get My Ex to Pay Child Support Again?

If your ex has stopped making their child support payments, it can put you in a stressful and uncomfortable situation. You expect to receive that money, and that is how you planned to finance what your child needed that month. While you may find yourself under financial pressure and you may feel frustrated or angry toward your ex, keep in mind that there are ways to resolve this.

  • If you and your ex maintain some type of communication, you can consider speaking to them directly. Maybe there has been a misunderstanding or maybe it was intentional. Either way, it is advisable to try to understand from them what is going on.

  • If you tried that and your ex is simply unwilling to pay or to try to work out some arrangement, or if you and your ex are unable to communicate directly, you can contact the Illinois Division of Child Support Services (DCSS). They offer their services free of charge. If you can afford to wait till these issues are resolved and the money you need is in your hands, DCSS is a great option. However, they are often overworked and backlogged, so it takes time before they can handle cases and they are not always effective.

  • Contact a divorce lawyer in the state where you and your child reside. This is usually the fastest, best option for customized help in your situation. Experienced attorneys can often resolve child support nonpayment matters quickly. They will walk you through the process and ensure you are able to take the steps necessary to get the child support you need.

Schedule a Free Consultation with a Kane County, IL Child Support Attorney

If your ex has stopped making their child support payments, an experienced St. Charles, IL divorce lawyer at Goostree Law Group can answer your questions and represent your needs. Call 630-584-4800 today to schedule a free consultation.

Share this post:
Back to Top