call us630-584-4800

Free Consultations

Name Change after Divorce

Posted on in Divorce

Illinois divorce attorney, Illinois family law attorneyAccording to Time magazine, despite the recent rise of married women choosing to retain their maiden names after marriage, approximately 80 percent still choose to alter their names in some way, either by taking their husbands' names or by hyphenating their husbands' names with this own. These women often face the issue of changing their names again when they divorce. Although some opt to retain their husbands' names in order to have names that match their children, many divorced women look forward to the day that they can remove this connection to their former husband from their identity.

If you have recently been divorced or plan to divorce in the near future and you want to change your name, you will need to complete the legal name change process. Consider speaking to an attorney for help with this process.

Changing Your Name with the Social Security Administration

To change your name with the Department of Motor Vehicles and on other official documents, you first need to change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA). This is done through a completed Application for Social Security Card (Form S-55). This must be done in person or by mail. To change your name you need the following:

  • Proof of your name change, such as your divorce decree or court order;
  • Proof of your citizenship, such as your United States birth certificate or a certificate of your citizenship or naturalization; and    
  • Proof of your identity, such as your driver's license or state identification card.   

Once this is complete, you are issued a new Social Security card with your new name listed on it. This process is completely free.

Changing Your Driver's License, Registration, and Other Documents

Other documents where you need to have your name changed include your voter registration, the title of your car and any other property you own, your driver's license, and your vehicle registration.

To change your driver's license, you must provide your current driver's license and proof of your name change in person at your local DMV office. This costs $5.

Changing the title and registration of your vehicle cost $15 and $3 respectively, but if you do not have the original Illinois title of your vehicle, changing it to reflect your name change costs $95.

Changing your name on your voter registration is free, but requires you to complete SBE R-19 and submit it to an Illinois county clerk or Board of Election Commissioners within 30 days of the next election. This can also be submitted at your local DMV office.

Work with a Kane County Divorce Attorney

Changing your name after your divorce can be one of the most empowering, validating choices you make after your divorce. By reclaiming your birth name, you are noting that your marriage is over and you are moving forward with the next stage of your life. For legal help with the process of changing your name or representation during your divorce, contact our law firm today to schedule your free legal consultation with our team of experienced Kane County divorce attorneys.



Back to Top