call us630-584-4800

Free Consultations

Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in petition for visitation

St. Charles family law attorneyOnce your divorce is wrapped up, you and your family will embark on new journeys and a brand new way of life. When you and your ex-spouse share children, arrangements for parenting time and the allocation of parental responsibilities must be made, resulting in new routines and a lifestyle that you and your children were not previously accustomed to before the divorce. While these new arrangements can take some getting used to, they often result in happier, healthier homes and habits for you and your children.

Depending on your family situation, however, you may wish to take other people into consideration, such as grandparents, mentors, and close family friends.  Who will have visitation rights, and what will those rights look like? How will you determine which non-parents will spend time with your children, and how will you negotiate those parameters?

Non-Parent Involvement

If the visitation rights of non-parents are not addressed in the parenting plan, they can be granted by the court using the following guidelines:

Kane County family law attorney, legally incompetent, petition for visitation, visitation rights, grandparents rights, primary caretakerFamily dynamics are complicated. It is not uncommon for a parent to seek visitation rights following a divorce. However, a parent might not be the only family member who wants these rights.

After a divorce, a grandparent, great-grandparent or sibling might want visitation rights as well. There might also be other situations when a family member would petition for visitation, such as when he or she has been unfairly denied by one of the child’s parents.

If one parent has unreasonably denied visitation to a grandparent, great-grandparent or sibling, then one of these individuals may petition for visitation rights. In order for the petition to succeed, one of the following circumstances must exist:

Back to Top