What If We Forget Something in Our Illinois Divorce Settlement?

 Posted on May 26, 2021 in Modification of a Divorce Decree

Kane County divorce lawyerWhen you are going through a divorce, it can feel like the list of things you have to do is neverending. There are dozens of issues that must be addressed before you can finalize your divorce, and resolving them often takes some time. The day you are finally able to sign your name on the dotted line is the day that you can officially say you are divorced—a sigh of relief for many. But what happens when you suddenly remember something that was left out of the divorce agreement? Can you go back and amend your agreement, even if it has already been finalized? It can be difficult to amend a divorce agreement, but it is not impossible with the help of a knowledgeable Illinois divorce lawyer.

Modifying Your Divorce Settlement Through Agreement

The court will not allow certain major issues to go unresolved before a divorce is finalized. These issues include the division of marital property, orders for child support and spousal support, and the allocation of parenting time and parental responsibilities. However, there may be smaller details that slip through the cracks, perhaps regarding the specifics of your parenting plan. The easiest and most peaceful way to address these issues is to discuss them with your ex-spouse so you can come to an agreement. Just like during the divorce process, coming to a mutual agreement can be much more efficient than fighting a contested battle in court and leaving the decision up to the judge.

Modifying Your Divorce Settlement With a Court Order

If urgent issues arise after your divorce that you were not aware of during the divorce process, perhaps related to your former spouse’s dishonest or dangerous behavior, agreeing on modifications peacefully will likely not be possible. In this case, you will likely have to get the courts involved. However, you cannot just modify your divorce settlement for any reason; it has to be significant enough to warrant a change. For example, if your spouse concealed information about their assets or did something to endanger your children, it is important to address these issues as soon as possible.

Contact a Kane County Divorce Decree Modification Attorney Today

Modifying a divorce judgment after the fact is not impossible, but it can prove to be challenging. If you realize that you have not addressed something important in your divorce judgment, the attorneys at Goostree Law Group can help you determine whether a modification of your divorce decree is possible. To schedule a free consultation to discuss your situation with a skilled St. Charles, IL post-divorce modification lawyer, contact our office today at 630-584-4800.





Share this post:
Back to Top