When Do Child Support Obligations Apply for Adult Children in Illinois?

 Posted on March 25, 2024 in Child Support

IL family lawyerChild support obligations generally end on a child’s 18th birthday. In some cases, they end when the child graduates high school. However, under certain circumstances, parents might be required to continue making payments for their children even when they are no longer considered minors. For example, divorced parents in Illinois can be obligated to create a plan to cover their child’s college education. Additionally, child support obligations can extend beyond that point for several years and might never end in the child’s lifetime if the child has special needs. If you are going through a divorce and your child has disabilities, you should speak with a knowledgeable Kane County, IL child support attorney to understand what sort of obligations you might have and start preparing accordingly.

Paying for Your Adult Child’s College Education

While judges in Illinois cannot tell married parents what to do with their money, they do have the option of ordering divorced parents to help cover the costs of their children’s college or trade school education. Divorce settlements are supposed to ensure that the parents and child can continue enjoying the standard of living they had when the parents were married, and a college education might be included in that standard. However, it is not an obligation, and the judge might decide not to order this.

College expenses do not only refer to tuition. The judge might order you to cover the costs of a meal plan, living expenses, textbooks, and health insurance. However, there is a limit to how much you can be obligated to cover. If you are paying for your child’s college education, you are also entitled to access their school records. Your obligation to pay ends if your child fails to maintain at least a C- grade average, turns 23, gets married, or earns a bachelor’s degree.

Child Support for Children with Disabilities

If your child had a physical or mental disability that presented before he turned 18, a judge can order both parents to pay adult child support in perpetuity. However, this is not always done, and before making such a decision, the judge will consider the child’s needs and the parents’ resources, age, health, earning potential, and other relevant factors.

Schedule a Free Consultation with a St. Charles, IL Adult Child Support Attorney

If you are about to begin the process of getting divorced and you have children with disabilities or children who will likely begin college after the divorce, you might want to begin saving and preparing for the expenses you will be responsible for. A knowledgeable Kane County, IL adult child support lawyer can review your situation and guide you forward. Call Goostree Law Group at 630-584-4800 to schedule a free consultation.

Share this post:
Back to Top